By following our CrossFit program you will become competent at performing basic movements and will be constantly developing the ten recognised physical skills:
- Cardiovascular / Respiratory Endurance: The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina: The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilise energy.
- Strength: The ability of a muscular unit or combination of muscular units to apply force.
- Flexibility: The ability to maximise the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power: The ability of a muscular unit or combination of muscular units to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed: The ability to minimise the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination: The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility: The ability to minimise transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance: The ability to control the placement of the body's centre of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy: The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
By increasing capacity in these 10 areas, no matter what life or any sport throws at you, you will not just cope, but excel!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am very unfit and have never been to a gym. Is CrossFit for me?
Yes! CrossFit is universally scalable so that ANYONE of ANY ability can participate! You learn all the basic movements on your Fundamentals course and then continue to learn or enhance them in the classes. We also practice the movements involved in that days workout (WOD) before we 3-2-1-GO!
What is a WOD?
The WOD is our 'Workout of the Day' and varies hugely from one day to the next. Any WOD can be scaled down so that anyone of any age or ability can tackle it at their own level! Go to the WOD page to see some of our previous workouts.
Will I meet new people at CrossFit?
CrossFit Cheltenham is a very friendly community and you will meet lots of new people and have the opportunity to join in with the many social activities we provide and sporting events that we enter!
Is it all classes or can I just pop in?
The majority of your CrossFit will be done in a class environment as there are lots of complex movements and we like to be there to ensure you are staying safe and moving correctly at all times. All members also have the option of using our open gym time (8am-5pm on weekdays and varied times at the weekend) to practice weaknesses or hit a workout.
What happens in a class?
The classes are all 1 hour long and will have a warm up, a skill of strength section and then a high intensity workout that can vary in duration from a 2-3 minutes to 30-40 minutes. Each day the class is different and varied, which is one of the reasons CrossFit is so fun!